Chaminade Campus after renovations,
Cheviot Hills, California, 1952
With only $9,000 and a few months to find a suitable facility and make ready, Chaminade High School for Boys was founded in the Fall of 1952 by the Marianists who were seeking to expand their educational mission in Southern California and provide living and working quarters for their postulants and novices.
A former military academy on Cattaraugus Street in the Cheviot Hills area of West Los Angeles was selected for the new school. It is said that the buildings were severely rundown and the grounds resembled a jungle. But in July of 1952, Brothers James Wipfield and John Perko, who later became the first principal, enlisted the help of many fellow Marianists. Within only two months the buildings were spotless, the grounds were renovated, a chapel and library were established and an outer building was converted into a chemistry lab. When school opened, the nine original staff members, including Fr. Donald Bracht, Fr. John McEnhill, Brothers Henry Honnert, Eugene Zapp, John Samaha and James Loughran, welcomed 114 day and resident students -- thus beginning the tradition of educational excellence known as Chaminade.
With the need for updated and expanded facilities, another search was launched and the San Fernando Valley was a logical choice given the direction of development that was taking place in Southern California.
The Marianists again took tools to hand and literally built the new high school from the ground up. Our continued building and development is part and parcel of the Chaminade story. At the core however, the Marianists and our mission guide us "...to form morally aware and academically capable people to be outstanding contributors to the future."
1952 Classes commenced at Chaminade High School for Boys, grades 9-12 (Day and Boarding students) in Cheviot Hills, CA.
1961 Chaminade High School relocates to Canoga Park.
1965 Bob Hope Student Center dedicated.
1969 Chatsworth Campus and Middle School (formerly St. John’s Military Academy) opens for boys, grades 7, 8 and 9. This enabled Chaminade to expand from a four to a six-year educational program. The property is leased from the sisters of Mercy.
1972 Girls are added to the student body on both campuses.
1973 Ownership passes from the Marianist Order to a local board of directors that included Marianists as well as lay teachers, administrators and business and professional community members.
1976 Boys' Locker Room and Campus Ministry Facility Completed.
1979 Science Wing constructed at High School for complete 200 Level Wing.
1981 Uribe Sports Center completed at High School; Resident Boarding program discontinued after 30 years.
1987 Middle School purchased from Sisters of Mercy. The School's name is officially changed to Chaminade College Preparatory. Chaminade Hall becomes the main Administration building for the President and academic Administrators.
1988 Ninth grade moved to High School campus. Athletic Boosters’ Stadium completed.
1989 Sixth grade added to Middle School student body, offering its families a seven-year seamless curriculum.
1993 New Academic Center opens on High School campus.
1996 The Academic Center is renamed Marion Hall in 1994, honoring Fr. Allen DeLong, S.M.;s service to Chaminade.
1997 Merrill Track Installed and Mundy's place opens.
2002 Construction commences on Arts and Athletics Center at our Middle School Campus.
2003 Arts and Athletics Center at Middle School Campus completed.
2004 Installation of new synthetic turf completed at the High School.
2005 The Condon Family Foundation Center for Science and Technology Opens.
2012 Tutor Family Center for Performing Arts opens.
2015 Joseph A. Rauser Library Commons is completed.
2015 James V. Adams Center for Innovative Learning is completed.
Ronald Staley 1973 - 1982
Bro. William McCall, S.M. 1982 - 1986
Fr. Allen DeLong, S.M. 1986 - 1996
James V. Adams, S.M. 1996 - 2014
Rob Webb - 2014 - Present